After our miscarriage in December, we were obviously hopeful that we would get pregnant again quickly. More than anything, we want to have more children and make Lilah a big sister. So we starting trying as soon as my cycle returned in early February. I'm going to skip forward a few weeks now, to our Hawaii trip in early March. I brought a pregnancy test with me just in case, since I knew my cycle would be due while we were on vacation. By the time we left Hawaii, I would only be a couple of days late, and I usually don't even take a pregnancy test until I'm at least 3-4 days late and feeling symptoms. I'm not one of those women who test before my cycle is even due. I let my body do what it's going to do, and then if my monthly enemy hasn't arrived and I'm feeling a symptom or two, then I take a test. But I think I'm more patient with that than the average woman. So I brought the test with me because I wanted to drink alcohol while on vacation, and I won't drink unless I know for sure I'm not pregnant.
I took the test on day 29 since we were planning to go out that night or the next night. I never actually expected it to be positive...but it was! We conceived our little Tator Tot (our miscarriage) in 1 month, so I never thought it would happen again so quickly. But thankfully it had! I did notice that while on the plane to Hawaii, my sense of smell seemed quite remarkable. But that was only day 24, so I didn't really think anything of it. I was so surprised by the positive test that I didn't say anything at first. I kept it a secret from Edward for most of the day. When I couldn't stand it anymore, I told him that afternoon on the back porch of my best friend's home, where we were staying while on vacation. We immediately ran into the house and grabbed the laptop to find out when my due date would be. We tried to do this inconspicuously, since Marianne didn't know our news yet. We told her later that evening when she gave me the perfect set up to break our big news! We found out that we are due on 11/12/12. 11/12 was my Grandma Ethel's birthday, and I like that my due date is on her birthday. But I know that I won't have the baby that day. I'm sure I'll have a c-section sometime the week before.
What a wonderful sight!! The best part of our Hawaii trip...receiving this news!
My first prenatal appt was on 4/5/12, when I was 8.5 weeks pregnant. Prior to that appt, my OB had me get my blood drawn twice so that they could check my hormone levels and make sure everything was right on track. Following my miscarriage, we were all on high alert and taking every precaution we could to make sure things went better this time around. Our first appt went very well. Dr. Burman was very excited to see us back so soon. I can only imagine that with our painful pregnancy history, Dr. Burman also feels anxiety and hope every time he meets with us. Edward, Lilah and I were all in the room as Dr. Burman performed an ultrasound to confirm the viability of the pregnancy. He immediately found the baby and then zoomed in so that we could see the baby's heart beating. What a glorious sight!! I'm pretty sure I teared up at that point. Dr. Burman told us everything looked really good and he was really optimistic about this pregnancy. I told him we need to wait and see, because last time our first appt went well but then we still lost Tater Tot. We booked our next appt for only 2 weeks out since he wanted to watch me closely.
There's our little baby blob!
GROWING BELLY ALERT:
10 weeks pregnant with Snicker.
My 2nd prenatal appt was just 2 weeks later on 4/19/12. This appt really had me stressed. This was the appt in our last pregnancy where we received the devastating news that I was miscarrying. Dr. Burman knew this and immediately performed an ultrasound to ease our minds. We were beyond relieved to see that our sweet little one had a strong heartbeat, and the baby looked less like a blob and more like a baby. I think I teared up again at this appt. The doctor again reassured us that everything was looking really good and he was happy with our progress. We booked our next appt for 1 month out. At this point, our pregnancy was still a secret to almost everyone, except just a couple of my closest friends. I have been so scared every day of this pregnancy that I will lose this baby too, so I was very hesitant to share our news with anyone.
Snicker was looking less like a baby blob and more like a teeny tiny baby!
GROWING BELLY ALERT:
12 weeks pregnant with Snicker.
COMPARISON - 12 weeks pregnant with Lilah.
I had some routine first trimester screening performed on 5/3/12 when I was 12.5 weeks along. The screening is performed to rule out Trisomy 18, Down Syndrome, and a couple of other things. Edward usually goes with me to these appts. But he had to stay home with Lilah since children aren't allowed in the exam room. So I was alone when I heard our baby's heartbeat for the first time. What a magical sound! I know I teared up when I heard that special beat-beat over and over again. Our baby, who we have chosen to nickname Snicker, was very wiggly during the appt. I got to see Snicker move his/her mouth, arms, hands, and feet. It was great!! The testing facility told me that the baby is doing great and that there was no indication that further testing was needed to rule out the disorders in question. I was sent home with several ultrasound pictures of Snicker, which I love!
Snicker's cute little body.
Snicker's profile.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.