On Tuesday I had another NST, followed by an OB appt. The NST appt went well. But then I had the OB appt... Dr. Burman came in and said that the ultrasound performed at my NST about 1.5 wks ago showed "the cord is near the baby's head/neck". I asked what that meant, is it wrapped around the baby's neck? He said no, not that they can see, but the cord is up around the baby's upper half. But he tried to calm me down and said the cord is approximately 3 ft long, so it's normal for it to be all over the place in there. He tried to tell me not to worry and that this is not an indication at all that anything bad is going to happen. Obviously I'm still freaked out that we are going to have another cord issue. But obviously after what we have
been through in losing Avalon, I am going to be a nervous wreck these next several weeks. He said if the baby is showing any signs of distress during labor they will proceed with a c-section.
Then I asked the doctor about a possible induction date, since he had previously mentioned 38 wks. We aren't too far away so I was hoping to narrow down some dates. Especially since it will be near the holidays and I don't want the doctor's personal holiday plans to become an issue. Dr. Burman said that his main concern with the induction date has to do with making sure the baby's lungs are developed and hopefully my cervix will also be ripe. So he threw out 38-39 weeks. Which annoys me, because we had always talked about 38 weeks, and now he suddenly mentions perhaps pushing it back a week. I know it's important for Cupcake's lungs to be fully developed. However, I feel like every extra day this baby spends in here as we near the end we just become a ticking time bomb waiting for the worst to happen. I know they really want my cervix to be ripe when they induce, but I honestly doubt that will be the case with me anyways. I went over 40 wks with Avalon, and the odds are that, if allowed, I wouldn't go into labor with this baby either before 40 wks. Which means it's doubtful my cervix will be ready to go at 38-39 wks. But they can still induce if my cervix is closed, it's just more of a process. Dr. Burman pulled out a calendar and said that if he's shooting for 38-39 wks, that would mean maybe having the baby somewhere around 12/15-17, and getting out of the hospital by the end of the weekend. I would obviously prefer to have the baby earlier in the week, or even the Friday before, 12/10. They still consider my due date to be 12/26, which means I am 2 days beyond what I have always been calculating. I always use Tuesday as the "new week", but technically I should be using Sundays. So instead of me being 33 wks and 2 days right now, I am actually 33 wks and 4 days along. So needless to say, I am scared about Cupcake's well-being and frustrated about what date we'll have this baby. I feel like, the earlier the better. I feel like with each day that passes, the odds of something happening increase.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.