We had been planning for months to take the kids to Marine World for Mother's Day. My sister went last year on Mother's Day and said it wasn't very crowded. I've been so anxious to take Lilah to see the penguins, seals, lions, etc. so this was perfect. We bought season passes to Marine World because we plan to take Lilah several times this summer.
We drove down to my mom's house in Concord on Saturday of Mother's Day weekend. I wanted to make sure we had the opportunity to spend some time with her before heading to Marine World on Sunday, since my mom hasn't seen us too much lately. It was nice to spend the evening at her house and just relax. Lilah had fun helping Gramma feed the kitties and she enjoyed playing with all of the toys and books at Gramma's house. And my Grandma joined us for dinner, so it was nice to spend some time with her as well. Unfortunately, I slept terribly on Saturday night. I think I got maybe 2-3 hours of sleep.
I was pretty tired by Sunday morning when we were packing up to head to Marine World. But I pushed past the exhaustion, got myself ready, and then got our little cutie ready for a day in the sun. We caravanned with Mom and Glen to Vallejo, then met up with Shea and her family, who had driven in from Sacramento that morning. As much as we try to keep Lilah away from excessive sun exposure, we were a bit disappointed to see how cloudy and cool it was that morning. Thankfully Edward had packed two fleece jackets, so I wore one of his jackets for half of the day. I had packed a thick hoodie for Lilah to wear, and I don't believe we took it off of her once. The sun did come out later in the day, as we suspected it would, and that warmed us up a bit.
The kids had a great time watching the giraffes, lions, tigers, and butterflies in the morning. We caught the tiger show around lunchtime, and then headed over to the killer whale show to see Shouka perform. Lilah enjoyed both! Unfortunately, Lilah passed out just prior to the start of the elephant show in the afternoon. She napped for quite awhile and ended up missing the entire elephant show! Edward stayed with her as she slept in the stroller and I watched the elephant show with the rest of my family. The boys loved watching the elephant! It was actually my favorite show. The viewing arena was smaller and we were much closer to the elephant, who was named Mallory. I never knew elephants were so quick on their feet and so agile! Wow! I did take some video of the show using my iphone with the intent of showing it to Lilah later. Well, it's been almost 2 weeks and multiple times everyday she asks to see the "ella" videos either on my cell phone or on the computer via facebook. In fact, she practically demands it, as toddlers tend to do. I'm hoping to take her back to Marine World next week and I will make sure she sees the elephant show at least once!
Later in the afternoon we caught the dolphin show. By then, all of the kids (and some of us adults) were starting to lose steam. After the dolphins, we made a quick trip through the aquarium to see the sharks and fish. Lilah had a great time there! She loves fish and she calls them "blub blub" (from a book she has that says fish say blub blub.) Then we cruised by the walrus, sea lions, seals, and finally...the penguins! I was bummed that one of her favorites got squeezed in right at the end of the day when she was exhausted and ready to go home. Next time we go, I'll make sure we go see the penguins in the morning when Lilah is fresh and awake. After that, we hopped in the car and drove home, which took about an hour and a half. We were starving and had planned to stop at our favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner just before getting home. But they were closed! What the heck?! Mother's Day is historically one of the busiest restaurant days of the entire year, and the 1 restaurant we wanted to go to was closed. We resorted to grabbing a pizza to go from a place down the street. Since we were so hungry, the pizza tasted extra delicious as we shoveled it into our mouths. It was a very busy and exhausting Mother's Day, but still a great one! I got to spend the day with my mom and my sweet baby...nothing beats that! Avalon's presence was missed, as it always is, but especially on Mother's Day, since I am her mother and I won't ever get to spend a Mother's Day with her.
Kai loves to get the tires wet!
Headed to the giraffes, lions and tigers!
Checking out the lions.
My cutie pie on the loose!
"What's that over there?!"
Lilah loved watching the giraffes.
Snuggles with Daddy while observing the giraffes.
Awkward but beautiful creatures. And look at that tongue!
The butterfly house was neat! But it fogged up my camera and I couldn't really take photos. Thankfully my cell phone camera worked!
The guys were checking out the fish in the pond at the butterfly house.
Beautiful white tiger.
Ready for the tiger show!!
Even tigers drink from bottles.
Tiger in action!
Hanging out while the guys rode a coaster.
Glen and Shaun are 3rd from the front. Red shirt and green shirt.
Lilah was too busy eating chicken cubes to snuggle with Mama.
Chilling with Daddy on the bench. Still eating chicken.
What a big girl, sitting on the bench by herself!
Checking out the whale show starring Shouka.
Shouka in action!
Daddy and Lilah as they leave the stadium.
Mr. Serious on the elephant ride.
Riding high!
Mallory the elephant!
Catching 4 rods with her trunk.
It's amazing that a creature so big can do this so well!
Dolphin time!
Shark attack!
One of Lilah's favorites, the penguins!!
One of the beautiful roses from the new rose tree my mom gave me for Mother's Day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.